Scoliosis is a type of disorder that causes an abnormal curve of the spine or backbone. Every person goes through severe back pain once in their lifetime, and some people neglect this, and some undergo various treatments that do nothing for them. Then how to figure this out? There is a standard spinal curve when looking from the side, but the spine should always appear straight when looking from the front.
In Scoliosis, there will be a development of additional curves to either side of the body. The bones of the spine crumple on each other, and will form a C or S-shaped curve in the spine.
How is Scoliosis Surgery Performed?
For the scoliosis surgery treatment, the surgeon will choose the procedure to treat the patient’s problem. Some patients required more than one surgery to produce favorable results, and in some cases, one surgery is enough for effective results.
Choices for the Surgery Include: There are many different procedures and surgeries which can treat Scoliosis. Such as:
- Anterior-posterior approach (front and back)
- Posterior approach
- Anterior approach
- Thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)
- Spinal Fusion Surgery: It is one of the most effective surgical treatments for Scoliosis, and it is also known as Scoliosis Fusion. This procedure involves the fusion of a few vertebrae so that they can bend and grow together as one vertebra. This surgery required various instruments like rods, wires, and hooks to achieve successful and effective surgery.
- Growing System Spine Surgery: This one's for children and mainly performed on the children of growing age as the spine is still developing. In this procedure, few rods are fixed into the spine by the Scoliosis surgery treatment doctor to accurate the curve as the child progresses to grow. Before the child gets mature, this procedure has to be repeated after every 6 to 8 months, and then the child undergoes spinal fusion.
- Fusion Less Spinal Surgery: This surgical procedure is based on one of that theory, which says, if continuous pressure is applied to the spine, it will start growing denser and slower. This surgery majorly involves attaching screws to the outer curve and then pulling them with a string in order to straighten the curve in the spine.
disease is also taken into account. With that x-ray, CT scan and MRI are also done as a part of diagnosis in order to figure out the exact degree of progression of the disease. There are other factors, too, like the age of growth of the spine.
Why to do Scoliosis Surgery?
There are typically three big reasons to perform this surgery:
- Stop the curve’s progression: This is the first reason for performing Scoliosis surgery that the deformity is continuing to worsen. And therefore, this surgery should be done to prevent the curve from getting more aggravated.
- Reduce the Deformity: The surgery can often de-rotate the abnormal spine twisting, in addition, to correct the curve about 50-70%, depending on the flexibility of the spine. And that is how it will help the patient to stand straighter and reduce the hump at the back.
- Maintain Trunk Balance: For any changes made in the spine positioning, the surgeon will also take into account the overall trunk balance by trying to maintain as much of the spine’s natural front/back curvature while also keeping the hips and legs as even as possible.
Some of the following prevention tips which may help avoid the occurrence of spinal deformities are listed below.
- Regular screening of any spinal deviations and it should be started from the schools only.
- Routine spine examination of newborn or kids below the age of 15 years.
- Extensive treatment of the underlying disease of the spine.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights with one hand.
Best Scoliosis Treatment in Udaipur:
The Shriram Spine Hospital is regarded as one of the top and best hospitals for spine surgery in Udaipur with excellence and innovations.
It has a team of dedicated, trained, and acclaimed spine surgeons providing cutting edge medical and surgical technology.
Shriram Spine hospital specializes in Scoliosis spine surgery, Kyphosis correction, Cv Junction and revision spine surgery. .
Frequently Asked Questions
If I have Scoliosis, will my child get it?
Yes, there is a higher chance of developing Scoliosis in your child if you have it because it runs in families. You can watch for the signs when they are young or growing so that the problem won’t get bigger.
What activities should scoliosis patients avoid?
One sides sports, deep backbends, activities that can trigger the scoliosis progression or alter the spine’s position. At this time, we recommend you limit the actions until you get completely cured of the Scoliosis.
Can treating scoliosis make you taller?
Yes, it totally depends on how large your curve is and how much straight it will become. This effect has been observed clinically after the surgical scoliosis correction.
How should I sleep if I have Scoliosis?
A high-quality firm is ideal, and we recommend you to not sleep on your stomach as it will put stress on your neck and spine. You can use a small pillow under your shoulders to support your curve while you sleep on your side may be the most comfortable.
Will my flexibility remain after surgery?
One of the goals of this surgery is to minimize the number of levels of the spine that are fused and to avoid fusing into the lower lumbar of the spine.
Why is the intervention of Scoliosis important at the early stage?
Because the probability of scoliosis progression increases exponentially as the curve becomes more severe. We have to keep the child’s curve from reaching 20 degrees or reduce it to less than 20 degrees.